Valentine D.I.Y. Day #3 by: Katie Collins – Decor Assistant
Cloth Rose Wreath
I love this heart shaped cloth rose wreath, from Maggie at Smashed Peas and Carrots. This wreath is great for those, like us, who have scraps of unused fabrics lying around. Mix and match various colors and textures of fabric to create a wreath that demonstrates your own creativity and imagination, while using those scraps that have been collecting for far too long! Share the love on Valentine’s Day by hanging the finished wreath on a door for everyone to see!
What you’ll need:
- 1 foam heart
- 1 1/2 yard white party taffeta (you could also use apparel lining or bridal satins; you just need the fabric to be a little stiff so the roses stand up!)
- Red ribbon
- Hot glue and gun
- Fray check (optional)
- Cut your fabric into 1 3/4 inch up to 2 inch wide strips by about 20 inches long. You can also alternate by making some of the strips 8 or 9 inches long just to vary the thickness of the fabric roses.
- To make your fabric roses, start by placing one end of a fabric strip between your index finger and thumb. Roll the fabric strips around your fingers and hot glue the fabric rose in place. Next, press one end to make a rose and hot glue it to the foam. Fill the entire wreath (front only) with your fabric roses, making sure you have a nice full wreath when you are done.
- Now, cut a length of ribbon that you think will hang nicely from your door. Hot glue the two ends together to make a circle. Flip your wreath over and place a huge dab of hot glue to the top center of the foam back. Press your ribbon circle from the last step into the glue.
- Now, cut 3 smaller strips of ribbon in varying lengths and glue the ends to make circles. This is going to be your bow. You will layer largest on bottom, then middle sized, then smallest on top.
- Cut another much smaller piece of ribbon to wrap around the center of the 3 layered ribbons you made above. Hot glue into place on the back side.
- Now, cut two more strips of ribbon to make the ends of the bow. Go ahead and snip the ends at the top and bottom. Now, just hot glue the two ribbon strips to the top of the main ribbon.
- Glue your bow to your main ribbon and ta-da! you are done and have a festive Valentine’s Day wreath!